Sunday, July 29, 2012

What's looming ahead..

The other day I was watching a program on TV, and the lady was showing how to knit with a loom, and they spoke about all things loom-y.. Now, I can knit, but it takes so much time to get something done! (Maybe it's just me!?) They showed how you can make blankets, scarves, beanies, sweaters - the lot! And there are several different stitches too.. The more I watched, the more I realised this is something I want to try myself.  
I was lucky enough to find a loom (they are available at all shops that stock Elle Wool, such as Bernina - as well as Cape Arts & Crafts in Canal Walk) and decided to try it out over a weekend.  :)


The pictures above show what the loom looks like, what the 'plain' stitch looks like and what the wool looks like when wound around the loom pegs. 


Seeing I had some leftover bits of wool, I decided on different panels, all different colours, which would then be joined together at the end. Above you can see the different panels I made. Below are some closer-up photos of the finished product and where / how I put the panels together. (The red wool.)




And this is the final product! :) I was so happy with myself after putting it all together. And I made this all in just a weekend! When I realised how quick the loom knitting goes, my mind ran away with ideas and endless possibilities! I just want to make blankets, scarves, beanies and sweaters now!  So stay tuned.. I will be knitting more things soon. Now to decide what wool to get.. mmmmm....

For more information about looming, you can go look at The Home Channel and Elle Yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment